Friday, September 9, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games

"The Hunger Games"
Written by: Suzanne Collins

Okay so the short version of this review is: I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Over a year ago, my best friend Leah recommended The Hunger Games trilogy to me thinking I would like it. It was post apocolyptic/dystopian (my favorite genre) and supposedly one of those series intended for youth that ends up being better than a lot of adult literature. I went out a bought the first book a couple weeks later. And there it sat, collecting dust on my book shelf for months upon months. 

I was just too excited about other books and I kept putting it off. Then about a month or so ago, suddenly everyone was talking about these books. I still put it off but I felt I needed to make it a priority soon since I couldn't participate in any of the conversations I was walking into (which were full of praise for the books). Then, the final straw: I saw a movie trailer for The Hunger Games movie. And that was that. I absolutely cannot let that movie come out without having read the book first (sound familiar?). It was time. 

I found that it took me at least four chapters before I was hooked. I kept starting and it was interesting but not keeping my attention, but once I really committed, soon I couldn't put it down. I read it in a week without even trying (it's a pretty quick read). I was addicted and I loved it. 

The story is dark for a coming of age story, but I got so emotionally invested in it. 

So really, that's all I have to say. Maybe you won't love it is you don't like darker themes or dystopian literature, but I loved it. I'm excited to read the next two although I've heard they're not as good as the first. And I suppose there will be a movie review in the future as well.

But seriously, the hype around this book is there for a reason. Read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment