Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Review: Catching Fire

"Catching Fire"
Written by: Suzanne Collins

Yep, that's right. I'm going to review each book in The Hunger Games trilogy one at a time (and as I finish them for that matter). I'd probably have a better perspective if I reflected on them as a whole but I like to document my honest first impressions after reading.

I was most worried about book two since it seems to be most peoples least favorite. Was is because I had low expectations that I found it so addicting? Book one was great, no doubt, but I found book two equally as addictive---maybe more so. The entire book kept me hooked and practically shaking with excitement at Katniss's most defiant moments throughout. As is often the case with a middle story, the end was a bit ubrupt. It didn't come together quite as well as the first but helped explain the discontent with the book that I did not at all understand until the last page. I can understand why some people would be less drawn to the book as a stand alone story when it ended so quickly. Perhaps the ending was a bit weak, but it didn't bother me because I knew the third was waiting patiently to wrap the story up.

Still, so far this series has not disappointed me. Yes, it's complete "up my alley" so I may be more enthusiastic than it's due, but I absolutely love it.

As a side note, now that I'm attached to the characters, I let myself check out the cast of the upcoming film to see what I thought about them. I'm skeptical. There are a few characters that I think "Yes, that totally works" like for instance Donald Sutherland as President Snow or Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket. In fact, most all the adults seem like good choices. The only one I'm on the fence about is Haymitch being played by Woody Herrelson, but I think it could work. It'll be interesting to see his interpretation of Haymitch. While Prim seems casted well, the other kids are the casting I'm most skeptical about. After all, they carry the story. My first reaction to the casting for Katniss was "Nononono!" but after further review, I think it may be okay. I'm a little upset about the casting for Gale and Peeta...not sure I believe in the acting skills of these kids. But...at the end of the day...we'll just have to wait and see. They could completely surprise me and they do look the part. The only casting choice that I am truly upset about is Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. Cinna is one of my favorite characters and I don't think Lenny Kravitz has any business acting. For him to win me over as Cinna will take a small miracle.

---Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment