Thursday, August 25, 2011

Movie Review: 127 Hours

"127 Hours"
Released December 2010/January 2011
Directed by Danny Boyle

Alright, a quick review of a movie I just watched this past week for the first time. 127 Hours based on the true story and book Between A Rock and A Hard Place.

I'm not familiar with the bulk of Danny Boyle's work, but he did direct one of my all time favorites Slumdog Millionaire. James Franco is this movie, the other characters (the few minutes that there are other characters) are inconsequential to the story. I have mixed feelings about Franco. I've seen roles he's done very well (Pineapple Express is my favorite) and others that were just god awful (Spiderman anyone?). This was certainly a challenge but I think he pulled it off. It wasn't a life altering performance, but he did pretty well considering what an incredibly difficult performance it was.

I expected to get bored. After all, the majority of this movie is the same scene, same actor, little to no dialogue. Other than the brutal moments of cutting his arm off, what other action was there? How were they going to make this story into a full length film?

Well, I didn't get bored. I was interested the whole time and sat there thinking about what I would do in his shoes. I was cheering at the end, discussing it with my husband and googling the real guy to find out how much of the story was embellished.

It's worth seeing, but I'm not sure it's the sort of movie you can see more than once.

---Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment